This day in MCW history – Jan. 14
Jan. 14, 2014 College News - On Jan. 14, 1913, Marquette University purchased the financially-ailing Wisconsin College of Physicians and Surgeons and leased the Milwaukee Medical College’s building. The two medical schools merged, creating the Marquette University School of Medicine. Louis F. Jermain, MD, was named the first Dean of the medical school. He continued to serve as Dean until 1926.
On Jan. 14, 1967, The “Heil Report,” led by civic leader Joseph Heil and commissioned by the Greater Milwaukee Committee, determined that it was vital for Milwaukee’s future growth and for the health of its citizenry to develop an academic medical center. The plan was released on the 54th anniversary of the creation of the Marquette University School of Medicine.