Photo highlights from the Marquette University School of Medicine

Jan. 17, 2013 College News - In honor of the 100th anniversary of the founding of the Marquette University School of Medicine (MUSM), the Medical College of Wisconsin is running a series of stories and hosting various events the week of Jan. 14-18. The Marquette University School of Medicine was formed on Jan. 14, 1913, and, in 1970, became the Medical College of Wisconsin, and its founding is an important milestone in MCW’s history.

Today’s story is a collection of photos of the buildings that comprised the Marquette University School of Medicine as well as photos of items from that era housed in the MCW Library and MCW archives.

Marquette University School of Medicine Class of 1913

Marquette University School of Medicine Class of 1913
 

The Marquette University School of Medicine occupied the former Wisconsin College of Physicians and Surgeons building at Fourth and Reservoir.

The Marquette University School of Medicine occupied the former Wisconsin College of Physicians and Surgeons building at Fourth and Reservoir.

Trinity Hospital located at Ninth and Wells Streets. In 1913, Marquette University School of Medicine’s clinical affiliations included Trinity Hospital, St. Joseph’s Hospital, Milwaukee County Hospital, St. Mary’s Hospital, Misericordia Hospital, Milwaukee Maternity Hospital, Milwaukee Isolation hospital, Blue Mound Sanitarium for Incipient Tuberculosis, City Sanitarium for advanced Tuberculosis and Milwaukee Infant’s Home and Hospital.

Trinity Hospital located at Ninth and Wells Streets. In 1913, Marquette University School of Medicine’s clinical affiliations included Trinity Hospital, St. Joseph’s Hospital, Milwaukee County Hospital, St. Mary’s Hospital, Misericordia Hospital, Milwaukee Maternity Hospital, Milwaukee Isolation hospital, Blue Mound Sanitarium for Incipient Tuberculosis, City Sanitarium for advanced Tuberculosis and Milwaukee Infant’s Home and Hospital.

 

Harriet L. Cramer Memorial Building, 1933. The Cramer building was constructed during 1931-32.  The building was complete in the summer of 1932.

Harriet L. Cramer Memorial Building, 1933. The Cramer building was constructed during 1931-32.  The building was complete in the summer of 1932.

Harriet L. Cramer Memorial Building

Harriet L. Cramer Memorial Building

Entrance to the Harriet L. Cramer Memorial Building

Entrance to the Harriet L. Cramer Memorial Building

Galen Imhotep
These portrait reliefs were presented to Marquette University School of Medicine by Bernard Appel, M.D. of Lynn, Mass. 15 April 1955.

Maimonides Osler
Pare Roentgen Vesalius

 

Medical College of Wisconsin
8701 Watertown Plank Road
Milwaukee, WI 53226
414-955-8296
Directions & Maps

Top