History of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation at MCW
The Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation was designated as a department in 1951, beginning as a part of the "Division" of Medicine. The Division of Medicine included Dermatology, Neurology and General Medicine, as well as PM&R. In 1959, PM&R was designated as a separate department. At the time, the medical school was part of Marquette University, and the department included Physical Therapy. In 1968, physical therapy was separated from PM&R to become part of the Division of Allied Health at Marquette University.
Ray Piaskoski, MD was named the Director of the newly established department in 1951, and became Department Chairman in 1959. Dr. Piaskoski resigned as chairman in 1965 due to health issues. Robert W. Boyle, MD was appointed chairman of the department at that time and served in the role until he retired in 1973. John L. Melvin, MD was appointed Chairman in 1973, and served in that role until 1991. Gerda Klingbeil, MD was the chairperson from 1991 - 1996. John Merritt, MD was the chairman from 1996 - 2001, and Martin Hoffman, MD was the acting chairman from 2001 - 2003.
Timothy R. Dillingham, MD was appointed Department Chairman in April 2003 and served in the role until September 2011. Diane W. Braza, MD was appointed Interim Chair effective October 1, 2011 and Chair in November 2012.