Department of Otolaryngology & Communication Sciences
The Department is committed to the ongoing training, research, and education of medical students, residents, community and international physicians, as well as, allied health professionals including nurse practitioners, audiologists, and speech.
Not only does the Department have all of the otolaryngology-head and neck surgery subspecialties represented: otology, neuro-otology, and cranial base surgery; head and neck oncology; facial plastic and reconstructive surgery; pediatric otolaryngology; rhinology; laryngology; and adult and pediatric general otolaryngology, it also has the largest otolaryngology group in the State of Wisconsin along with the largest number of fellowship trained subspecialists in the State.
The Department of Otolaryngology and Communication Sciences is based at Froedtert Hospital, the Children's Hospital of Wisconsin, and the Zablocki VA Medical Center.
Children's Hospital of Wisconsin
Zablocki VA Medical Center
The Medical College of Wisconsin traces its roots to 1893 with the founding of the Wisconsin College of Physicians and Surgeons. In 1913, the Wisconsin College of Physicians and Surgeons and the Milwaukee Medical College merged to become the Marquette University School of Medicine. In 1967, Marquette University relinquished its sponsorship of the medical school. The school then continued as a private, freestanding, national institution, and in 1970 changed its name to the Medical College of Wisconsin.
In 2003 the Liaison Committee on Medical Education (LCME), the accrediting body of all US medical student, awarded full eight-year accreditation to the Medical College, the maximum period of accreditation. In 1997 the North Central Association (NCA) of Colleges and Schools granted ten years re-accreditation to the Medical College, the longest term possible.
The Department of Otolaryngology and Communication Sciences of the Medical College of Wisconsin gained departmental status in July 1998. Prior to that date, it had been a Division within the Department of Surgery.